Sunday, March 8, 2009

Leading out of quietness...




Have you ever had this feeling that God wanted you to read something out of the Bible? Well I can't say it happens to me that often, but about a month ago I felt like God wanted me to read the Gospel Mark. I now know it was really only the first chapter; Mark 1:35.

Did you go read it? If not then do it... This will still be here.

Did you notice that even Jesus went to a solitary place to pray? I know for me I get distracted by things in my house or in my car, but if I go to a solitary place I find myself connecting to God much easier and often in a much deeper way. So what does this have to do with "Leading out of quietness" you ask... Good question.

Have you read the Gospel's and noticed how Jesus lead? I mean really paid attention to some of the things He did. After reading Mark 1:35 I find myself continually thinking and praying over that verse and I think it has finally dawned on me...

Jesus lead out of quietness. It was because of the quiet times with His Father that He was able to get His strength to continue, out of the quietness that Jesus was able to figure out the will of His Father. It was out of quietness that Jesus was able to model for us how to lead.

As I think about Jesus and His quiet times with His Father I can't help but think of how tired He had to have been most of the time. It wasn't like He got the weekends off...

I know for me it is so easy to make excuses why I don't make more time to spend in quietness, but I also know when I do make the time my leadership benefits from it. I tend to come back from those times refreshed, energized and often with more passion for what God has called me to than before I left.

Do you lead out of quietness? Do you believe it is possible? Do you believe that we should lead out of quietness, why or why not? What would it look like for you to do this?

By the way I find it no coincidence that the following His quiet time (Mark 1:35-38) that Jesus made the decision to go to a different village...

I'd love to hear your thoughts/comments.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on the quietness. Solitude and quiet are among the spiritual disciplines and they are given to us so we can experience life. To lead out of quietness would mean listening during that time--hearing Jesus' perspective on what he would have us to do to lead. In those times of quiet we can develop a conversational relationship with God.

    So, why don't I practice this more often? I think one reason is that it is opposed. Our adversary does not want us to be strengthened through quiet. His design is that we get taken out through business.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete