Sunday, March 22, 2009

Feedback...




I don't know about you, but when someone says; "I'd like to give you some feedback" I tend to brace myself for some negative comments. Maybe I'm in the minority, but it seems like we live in a world where everyone seems to have feedback to give and more often it's negative as well...

Let me clarify something before I get too far... I'm weird... OK let me tell you something you don't know... I decided very early in my leadership a few things. One was I had a lot to learn. Two I knew I had to always continue to learn how to lead better. And Three I knew I had to seek and be open to feedback from trusted people.

Let me say that again... I seek feedback. I don't like it, but I seek it. I don't like to hear the things I either did wrong or things I need to grow in, but I know that it is something I need to hear. As a leader I'd argue that feedback is one of the most essential parts of leadership. I'd also argue that how people receive feedback says a lot about what type of leader they are.

Here is what I am NOT saying... All feedback is true. All feedback is given at the right time. All feedback comes from a encouraging spirit... Again these are things I am NOT saying...

Here is what I AM saying... In order to grow as leaders we need to be open to feedback. In order to learn about some of our blind spots we need to receive feedback. How a leader responds to feedback will often reveal how teachable a leader is. Not all feedback is negative.

So how do you approach feedback? How do you give feedback? Who in your life do you seek feedback from? Why wouldn't you seek feedback? How do you respond to feedback? When was the last time you received feedback? Has feedback been helpful in your growth as a leader?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment